Hanover Electrical Service Upgrades
Our Experienced Electricians Do the Job Right
With all the electronic appliances and devices that people use nowadays, a home’s electrical demands are always increasing. To update your electrical system to one that has the capacity you need, turn to our Hanover electrical service upgrade experts.
At M.J. Carr Electrical Services, we aim to provide the best quality service and the most exceptional customer experience. This includes showing up on time and with the necessary parts and tools to get the job done right away.
Electrical Load Capacity
If you live in an older home, chances are that your existing electrical service is undersized for your modern electrical needs. To ensure that you have the right amount of power and that your electrical system operates safely, you need to have enough electrical capacity.
Homes built after 1960 usually have 100 amps, which is the requirement for single-family homes under national electrical code. Many new homes have 200-amp or even 400-amp electrical service installed.
To know if your electrical service has enough capacity for your power needs, you must calculate the amperage load of all the various appliances and fixtures. Compare this with your home’s current amp service. If the amperage required is more than 80% of your home’s electrical capacity, it is time for an upgrade. This task is completed easily with the help of our qualified electricians.
Should I Consider Electrical Panel Upgrade?
So you’re probably wondering if your home is one that may require electrical panel upgrade. Of course it may be more obvious if your panel is very old and hasn’t been updated. Like we mentioned above, if your home was built prior to the 1960s or 1970s, there is a very high likelihood that you’ll need a panel upgrade to keep up with today’s capacity. If your home isn’t as old, there are a few other signs you can look out for to help determine what you should do.
Some signs you need electrical panel replacement include:
- New appliance installation – When you think of appliances, you may think of something small like a toaster or a blender. However, if you’re installing something much larger like an air conditioner or space heating appliance, you’ll certainly want to upgrade to an electrical panel that can handle all of this power.
- Noticeable problems with your electricity – If your lights are dimming or flickering or you hear a buzzing or get a shock when you turn on a light or appliance, these might be signs that your current electrical panel is struggling to keep up with the demand.
- Your home has fuses – If your home still has fuses, it may be time to upgrade to circuit breakers. Fuses were designed at a time before homes used so much electricity and can be at risk for starting a fire and need to be replaced when they are “blown”. Circuits simply need to be reset. Additionally, home insurance companies may be weary to insure your home if it still has a fuse system.
- One tripped circuit after another - Just because you have a circuit breaker, it doesn't mean you're in the clear. If your circuit breaker isn't up to the task of properly regulating your home's electrical grid, it will trip repeatedly. If this is the case then make sure to contact our Hanover electrical panel upgrade experts.
- You use extension cords and power strips – If you’re running out of places to plug in appliances and are resorting to using extension cords or large power strips, that’s a good sign that you need a new electrical panel along with additional outlets.
- You have future plans that will require more electricity – Even if your home is keeping up with your current demand, it’s important to consider what the future holds for your home and your family. Are you having more kids? Purchasing a major appliance? Rather than wait until you experience issues with a panel that can’t keep up with your new demand, consider upgrading it beforehand so that you’re ready.
- Rust in your electrical panel - If you ever see signs of rust in or around your electrical panel, then contact our Hanover electrical panel replacement specialists pronto. Rust usually accumulates where there's excess moisture and water and electricity can be a dangerous combination so act swiftly.
These are just a few of the reasons why you should upgrade. If you’re still not sure, our electrical panel technicians are happy to help. We offer free quotes, so don’t hesitate to schedule one soon!
Contact Us Today
If you have not upgraded your electrical service for some time, you should do so immediately to avoid inconveniences and hazards. M.J. Carr Electrical Services is equipped to accurately evaluate your capacity needs and install the electrical service you require.